Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Good men do nothing?!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke.

Well I do agree with this statement and I really like it, however I don’t think it is that simple or easy. The hardest thing is deciding what is evil and who are the good men? After watching tears of the sun (a really great movie to watch when you’re sick- only joking), which I really do like, and it has a good point… But… who/ what is evil- is it the people who are fighting for something they believe in, or those just going against the majority of the population, or those who convince others that what they believe is right, something that causes disruption??? Hmm, I did have some good point, but I don’t think I actually made it. Sorry, got a bit distracted. Anyway I like the quote, it is true.

Oh, after talking to a really friendly and talkative lady that was my patient today, she was saying that she isn’t afraid of dying and there isn’t anything to be scared about it really. She believed that death and should not be a no-no subject that people shouldn’t talk about, but it should be talked about more which will take away part of that fear of dying (hmm, maybe I just joined a few dots there, but that was basically it). She also said that she has her funeral already all planned out, and she has booked her cremation and box for her ashes for when she dies. She wants to be buried and she even chose a simple box just so that the worms can have a feast easier- that’s what she said. I don’t think I have met someone that is quite so prepared and laid-back about facing death, which she wasn’t. I really admire her. She also said that once you’re dead you can’t talk anymore and tell people things, which is why she is really talkative- making up for the time when she won’t be able to. I should take a leaf out of her book, because I do agree with what she is saying, but I don’t necessarily practice or apply it to my life.

No comments: