Sunday, May 13, 2007

My past week...

So I have finally finished all of my orientation stuff at the hospital, inculding my 6 days working on the ward as I slowly increase my patient load and get more orientated to the ward. And I have learnt HEAPS over the last week. Everything is coming together nicely actually. I now know a fair bit more about the medications that I am giving to my patients (which can be important if you dont want to kill your patients).
Yesterday was my official day working as an RN where I didn't have another RN watching over me and there to help me. Although I was only given 4 people to look after which were supposted to be easy so I didn't get too overwelmed... well one of my patinets decided to break their IV line that was only put in the day before, they vomited every 10 minutes for about an hour, the family came in constantly asking me to give them a wash (which was understandable, but I did have other patients to look after), having to order all these meds for people that had run out of stuff, and new medcations that had just been written up, doing an ECG on the vomiting patient which is not done very commonly on this ward.... blah, blah, blah. Well it was my first day- the AIN that was supposed to be helping me, and hadn't done anything for me, had no right to say at nearly 12 o'clock when I had one patient left to shower, when I asked if she could shower them, "What! you haven't done that yet, what's wrong with you?" That really pissed me off!!!
Anyways, I'm over that now, next time I might work her harder from the start :P
Hmmm, well today I have basically done nothing, which has been really nice, but back to work tomorrow.

No comments: