Monday, April 16, 2007

Nursing

Well I finally start my new grad in 2 weeks (which I feel I have been saying for the last 2 weeks). Well actually it is in 2 weeks and 2 days, I just don't think I could count before. I found out I am starting on the oncology (cancer) ward. Its really not the best place to start, and is the only one place I know I don't want to be permanently in. But it is only for 3 months. Hopefully I get a place I want to go next time. Well the advice I have been given from my friends that have been there, or are currently in oncology, is that you shouldn't get emotionally attatched to the patients, and you should give lots of pain relief to the patients even if they dont ask for it. So yay! I think I will be okay in not getting emotionally attatched to the patients, seeing as I think I try not to really get attatched to anyone. I'm a very distant person. As someone said the other day "I hold my cards close to me", although it is not done intentionally. Well, the staff in oncology from my memory over the last 3 eyars are not that great, but from the last few weeks, when I was there it hasn't been too bad. If the staff like you, then you are fine. But if they don't like you or trust you, its not the nicest place to work, which is sad.
The other day my watch stopped literally the minute I stepped onto the ward for work, which was at 7:00 (I was right on time). Then this morning when I remembered my nurses watch had stopped, I went to get one of my other watches and realised it had stopped to. Then I looked for my other one, and it had stopped to. I really need to get some new batteries, I have no excuse this time. Even though I actually hardly ever use my watch at work, you do need it just in case. I just thought that was funny with all my watches stopped. If all my clocks stopped at the same time as well, then that would be freaky. But they are still going, and I can't exacly carry around my alarm clock everywhere, even thought I did think about it for a split second before I realised how silly that idea was.
Anyways, that's all folks.

No comments: